Sponsorship

09 November, 2023

Netflix And No.

I recall reading recently - no, watching a longish video - about Netflix's slow crumbling. But they now reckon they have the problem in hand. So anyway here's that video. It's a year old so form whatever opinion it brings you.

But Imma have my doubts about this though - in this recent article they say "added 8.8m subscribers" but how many are just waiting out their current subscription and then hauling ass? I know I would be. If I were a Netflix customer, at any rate. 

I've enjoyed my entertainment as much as the next person when I was somewhat younger, but started my teen years looking for the few techie shows like The New Inventors and Julius Somner-Miller. What I'm saying is that I never really considered Netflix a service I'd pay for, and going to the movies once every few months was enough for me to satisfy my need for blockbusters and amusement. We now have some streaming and watch a few entertainment shows but our day includes a lot of background of news and podcasts and techie articles and politics and ... 

What I'm saying is that to us, Netflix has always been a bit of a waste of bandwidth and money, so we've found ourselves with a better-value subscription that has a good selection of entertainment and documentary and informative content, Nebula, Youtube, and whatever other indie sites there are out there.

But now they've gone and done this bait-and-switch, removed a subscription level that people obviously liked, and are faffing around as though they're going great guns when as far as I can see their existing subscribers will be looking for a platform that's more honest and stable. I would.

I just finished an article about Patreon doing much the same things, adding things people don't want, trying to wrangle more money out of their creators. And how many of them are as a result disillusioned and thinking about Ko-Fi and other alternatives. That instability and level of BS is what kept me from having much to do with Patreon at all.

What about you? Netflix freak or Netflix-freaked?


No comments:

Email Subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe to all my blogs at once!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz